Welcome to Chef's Corner! A page dedicated to all things culinary at Abigail's, where we'll answer common guest questions, share recipes and stories about our Chef's.
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
Chef Josh's Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes are a light and zesty alternative to regular pancakes, perfect for summer. A staff and guest favourite!
- 3 cups all purpose Flour
- 3 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 3 Eggs separated
- 1 cup melted and cooled Butter
- 6 Tbsp Sugar
- Zest and juice of 2 Lemons
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
Place the egg whites in a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk and whip whites with the sugar until stiff peaks form.
Whisk together the remaining ingredients and gently fold into the flour mixture using a rubber spatula.
Fold in the egg whites and let stand for 5 minutes.
Cook pancakes over medium-low heat with a minimul amount of butter or oil.
This recipe is great served with nearly any fruit in season (and a little whipped cream doesn't hurt either).
Strawberry Streusel Muffins
Chef Josh's Strawberry Streusel Muffins are sure to be a delicious start to your day. Light, sweet, and fluffy are the perfect words to describe this delectable treat!
- 2 oz Chopped Almonds
- 1 ½ oz Brown sugar
- 4 oz Flour
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Lemon zest
- 1 ½ oz Butter
- 20 oz Flour
- 4oz White sugar
- 3.5 oz Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 300 ml Buttermilk
- 7.5 oz Melted Cooled Butter
- 1 Cup Chopped Rhubarb
- 2 Cups Chopped Strawberries
- 1 ½ Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
Method for Streusel
Add all ingredients to mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment and mix until Butter is fully incorporated.
Method for Muffins
Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix together Flour, Baking powder, and Salt in a large bowl. Mix together Vanilla, Sugars, Eggs, Buttermilk, Zest and Butter in another bowl. Pour over dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula with as few strokes as possible. Fold in Rhubarb and Berries.
Lightly oil muffin tins and portion muffin batter into tray. Top each with Streusel topping and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until tops spring back when pushed down with finger tips. Allow to cool slightly before un-molding from tray.
Chef Josh's Wild Rice & Dried Cranberry Salad
Chef Josh's Wild Rice and Dried Cranberry Salad is sure to be popular around the dinner table this Christmas! A great alternative or addition to your traditional Holiday Meal.
- 1 Small Red Onion (Finely Diced)
- 1 Small Fennel Bulb (Finely Diced)
- 3 Stalks Celery (Small Dice)
- 1/4 Cup Minced Parsley
- 4 Cups Cooked, Cooled Wild Rice
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Green Onion
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 3/4 Cup Grapeseed Oil
- 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 Cup Slivered Almonds, Toasted
- Zest of One Orange
- Juice of One Orange
- 1/2 Tbsp Minced Ginger
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Soak Red Onion in Lemon Juice for half an hour
- Put aside 1 Tbsp Parsley, half the Orange Zest and the Almonds
- Mix all remaining ingredients with Onions and Lemon Juice
- Season to taste with Salt and Pepper
- Place in serving dish and garnish with remaining Zest, Parsley and Almonds
Roasted Beet and Pear Salad with Arugula
Chef Josh's Roasted Beet and Pear Salad with Arugula, Walnuts and Goat's Cheese has been a popular summer dish that guests have enjoyed again and again during evening appetizers here at Abigail's. So simple and yet so tasty; this summer recipe brings your tastebuds to new heights and keeps things light and refreshing!
- 3 Cups (Roasted, Cooled, Peeled & Diced) Beets
- 3 Pears (Diced)
- 4 Shallots (Finely Diced)
- 4 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 3/4 Cup Grapeseed Oil
- 3 oz Baby Arugula
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Walnuts
- 6 oz Chevre
Chef Josh's Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 2 onions, sliced
- 5lbs of mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 litre of heavy cream
- 1.5 litres of vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp ground fennel seed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Sweat onions for 2 minutes over low heat
- Add garlic and continue to sweat until onions are completely translucent
- Add mushrooms and fennel seed and sweat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add stock and cream and bring to a simmer
- Simmer for 5 minutes
- Puree well and season to taste with salt and pepper
Oatmeal Raisin Apricot Cookies
Chef Josh's mouth watering bites begin as soon as guests enter their room and are treated to his homemade Oatmeal Raisin Apricot Cookies:
- 1/2 lb Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Corn Syrup
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 tbsp Vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups of Flour
- 1/4 tbsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 cups Oats
- 1 1/2 cups Raisins
- 1/2 chopped Apricots
Cream the butter with the sugar and corn syrup
Add eggs and vanilla until fluffy
Stir in flour, salt and baking soda until well mixed
Fold in oats, raisins and chopped apricots
Spoon onto a baking sheet in "cookie size" lumps
Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes